I was seriously injured in an accident. Who will pay my medical bills?
Massachusetts is a no-fault insurance state. Although that means your insurance will help you recover some of your expenses, it limits your ability to recover from the person who caused the accident. All Massachusetts drivers must carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) as part of their insurance. PIP coverage provides the first $2,000 of medical bills and a minimum of $8,000 per person for lost wages, replacement services, and death benefits. Private health insurance pays the remaining medical expenses. PIP will cover medical bills ranging from $2,000 to $8,000 for people without health insurance coverage.
However, if your injuries are severe, you may be able to sue the person whose negligence caused your injuries. If your medical expenses exceed $2,000, or if you suffer loss of sight or hearing, permanent disfigurement, a fracture, or if a loved one dies as a result of the accident, you can sue the other driver.
I was not injured right away, but some time has passed and now I think I might be suffering from an injury related to accident, medical procedure, or encounter with a defective product. What should I do?
Accident-related injuries are sometimes not immediately noticeable. Massachusetts law recognizes that not all injuries are immediately apparent, and the law generally provides that you have three full years after an accident, medical procedure, or encounter with a defective product to file a personal injury lawsuit, subject to some exceptions and limitations. If you are feeling discomfort after an accident or medical procedure, or if you think you have been injured by a dangerous or defective product, you should seek medical treatment immediately and document the nature of your injury. You should also notify your health insurance, and if your injury resulted from a car accident, you should also notify your car insurance.